2017 Homestead Plans
Plans for the Blog
We always have a lot going on, and there’s always even more just around the bend. Here are a few things that we’re planning to do and share here in the next few months:
- Experiment with raising American Guinea Hogs in addition to raising the Berkshires we know, love, and spend a lot of money on
- Build an incubator from a cooler (with custom rotation trays), and share a tutorial/lessons learned post
- Re-start our quail flock, and share how-tos
- Build a new meat rabbit colony, and share the design
- Experiment with Bielefelder and Bresse chickens as dual-purpose breeds, share our experience
- Write up and share the results of our previous experiments with various dual-purpose chicken breeds
- Improve our water storage and distribution system
- Plan our 2017 gardens and share our approach
- Start seedlings and share our process
- (Hopefully) show off our bountiful harvest and share our favorite preparations of fresh produce, as well as preservation techniques
- Share a tutorial on creating a curing chamber for charcuterie, and resources to help you get started with making cured meats
We’ll update this list with links as we write new posts, and new projects as we remember them (or as they occur to us).
We’ll use the below chart as a rough guide to what livestock we expect to have around the homestead this year. It will doubtless shift over time. Still, it’s helpful to have a general sense of how many things we’ll have going on at once.